Feb 2, 2010

Phir Mile Sur ... Jo Nahi Mila


Few days ago, I posted the legendary Mile Sur Mera Tumhara, precisely for two reasons. I couldn't stop humming this song for many days prior to posting it. And second, I was excited for the 2nd version of this song which was scheduled to be released on Jan. 26, 2010 - India's 60th Republic Day. The original version was released on Aug. 15, 1988, and had almost become next to India's National Anthem (Jan Gana Mana)
Well, so on Jan 26, 2010 perhaps the first thing I recall doing after still in process of getting up from the bed was ‘youtube’ for the new version of Mile Sur. Voila! People were kind to put it online, and many were kind to share their reactions over the new version. As the video unfolded, my excitement started dying ... precisely for more than one reason! Let me enumerate them here so we can open up for a debate on them one by one.
1.      Phir Mile Sur is too-too long: It is blatantly too long to hold audience for once, forget encouraging them to listening it again for another important 16 minute of their lives. Back in 1988 and onwards, Mile Sur was hugely popular ever since its conception since it would keep playing every now and then without getting on people’s nerves. In my opinion, no one really minded the 5-6 min. of seeing and appreciate Indian diversity highlighted through the original version. But for a 16 min. video trying to depict Unity in Diversity and national integration is really a tough deal to crack.
2.      Phir Mile Sur lacks quality: Can we really debate on this? Hell yes, it is filled with celebrities. I love Bollywood and am an ardent fan of our respectable talent, so do not take me wrong but almost majority of the video is dominated by Bollywood stars...few legends (Amitabh Bachchan, Shah Rukh Khan, Aamir Khan, and the likes) and most trying to be legends (Shahid Kapoor, Deepika Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor, Priyanka Chopra, Shilpa Shetty and the likes!) For a second, let it have all those actors and actress but then if this was a song of India as indicated by the tag line at the end of the video, then I shall lament on not seeing Madhuri Dixit, Sridevi, and Kajol who in my opinion have Bollywood decades to their names. The video shamelessly missed the 21st century nightingale of India – Smt. Lata Mangeshkar.
3.      Phir Mile Sur lacks substance: What do you say when the religion of India – The Cricket misses out from a video that boast itself on "unity” and “national integration". In my opinion, it simply lacks substance! You do not see Sachin Tendulkar, Saurav Ganguly, Rahul Dravid, MS Dhoni as our Crick-gen icons, and I find it disappointing. More so, it misses out on footage on Hockey (national sport), Football, weightlifting stars that represent India from all over and at an international footing such as Asian, Olympic, Commonwealth games as an example. Out of a 16-min. whooping long video, only last min. or so is dedicated to the sports. Perhaps still showing a lack of importance toward sports and our sportspersons.
4.      Phir Mile Sur lacks Industry: For God sake, Karan Johar does not represent India Inc.! I believe it is represented by Narayan Murty, Nandan Nilekeni, Aziz PremJi, Tata, Ambani Brothers and the likes. But none of the corporate giants leading India in 21st century and making it an economic superpower makes it in the final cut of the video.
5.      Phir Mile Sur lacks Education: May be I am ignorant after watching this video for more than a couple of times, but I did not see a single theme related to education in the video. Obama hails about Indian education, our kids being smarter in Math, Science, and computers but the director of the video thinks otherwise. It is perfectly alight. Everyone is entitled to their views and so am I!
6.      Phir Mile Sur lacks Metro, Elegance: Okay, not that I am a Delhite so I am a little pissed but anyone who values Mr. Sreedharan’s foundation and contribution to Delhi with Delhi Metro Railway Corporation will howl on that absence. You are re-making a video that is touted as next to the national anthem almost 20 years later and hope to show the progress in the country … surprisingly you miss out on depicting the real progress that has happened on ground. Not just Delhi Metro, Bangalore Silicon Valley, Hyderabad Techno Park, our more than a couple of reformatted airports across the country … I am sure citizens would have loved to see that progress of the country.
7.      Phir Mile Sur lacks Force: The national security of our country is not just Army, Navy, Air force. Mind you, I loved seeing the defense forces being in the video (alas only at the last minute!) but a little footage on Police, CRPF, BSF, RPF, Coast Guards, NSG commandos would have made it much nicer.
8.      Phir Mile Sur lacks Democracy: If this video had to be embellishment of strong, popular personalities from across the country then it missed out on many as noted earlier. Additionally, it missed on political brigade and before I write my list, I know what names shall come to your lips so I shall save some space here. Not that the brigade represents Indian democracy but today's democracy is represented by the new youth leaders of our country.
9.      Phir Mile Sur lacks Common Man: Now, let me take a U-Turn on the video. So, amidst all the Page-3 celebrities as many have pointed out in their critique, and I have been shamelessly noting, I kept thinking what is really missing from this remake video. What is it that was there in the original version that captured the national nerve back in 1988 and continued to do so? So, what I really thought missing from the new version is “A Common Man”. Reminiscing over the original version and seeing it again and again, I discovered to myself that most of the themes (read culture, diversity, unity, national integration) were depicted by people who you did not know and perhaps not many knew. I wonder where those people are now, just for the sake of curiosity! Well, not knowing is not important but important is: “You and I could relate to those anonymous faces representing the culture, diversity from across the great land of India”… and I miss that element the most from the video.
Far from this 9-point something of a critique, the audacity of the directors to make such a video must be applauded by over a billion less 2 people - Mr. Kailash Surendranath and his wife who are behind the rampage of original version. It can only be commendable for someone to re-conceptualize a master piece and totally tear it apart. Sure it represents the musical talent India has, but as said before it lacks elegance, substance, and any force that you expect from a Song of India.
Well, ever since I have seen this video two thoughts have constantly travelled back and forth in my mind, and I must share it with the readers. First, I wished if someone would ban this video or not tout it as a remake of a legendary song but I already accept myself as a looser for I know my wish is far-fetched from a reality that can ever be fulfilled. Second, I hoped the makers of the remake tell us that the video aired on India’s 60th Republic day was a leaked version of the ‘first draft’ … and “Phir Mile Sur” is still in making, taking in account of all the critique and praises that are being showered on it as we read.
As many of our billion people, I shall also be hopelessly looking forward to see “Phir Mile Sur” as indeed a ‘Song of India’ as marketed by its makers.

9 comments:

nishtha kohli said...

I really enjoyed reading this piece! your observations on what this video lacks are almost perfect. It was very interesting and gripping to read. Good job and keep writing!

Unknown said...

I agree with your observations that you have made.. Even I felt the same when I watched the video.. :(

Sumit Suri aka Tinks said...

Very good write-up expressing your detailed viewpoint about the deficiencies in the new version of the song. I believe you have touched every aspect....so now continue the good work...and I am glad that you too have started a blog...keep up the inspiration for expressing your viewpoint every now and then. Cheers!!!

bhaskar556 said...

i aggree with u, it is very long and doesnot have any thing to retain the attention of viewers besides a couple of bollywood stars,
what i didnot understand:
What is the objectivity of making this video?
advertising taj properties in india ?

Thanks and keep writing

Bhaskar Varshney

Geetanjalii Joshi Nalla said...

love your Blog. True on your comments. Hope this is the view of every Indian back home.

Manish Madan said...

Thanks everyone for reading my blog and sharing your comments.

Cheers!

Unknown said...

I fully agree with all the aspects that u've touched up. I had these exact thoughts run through my mind when i watched 'Phir mile sur' for the first time on Jan 26. It's a little annoying that India essentially has come to mean "Bollywood" - though i too am an ardent fan of hindi movies.

Vinni said...

Hi Manish,

Your post an awesome read and liked the way you split it into the various headings!
Good stuff and nice blog!

cheers!

Anonymous said...

Nice in-depth post...completely agree with all your points